The Bill Laswell Discography
1999 - Part 2
BUCKETHEAD - Monsters and Robots
1) Jump Man (B,PS) 4:42; 2) Stick Pit (B,LC,Mantia) 3:38; 3) The Ballad of Buckethead (B,LC,Mantia) 3:38; 4) Sow Thistle (B,Freeman,BC) 4:28; 5) Revenge of the Double-Man (B,Disk,LC,Mantia) 3:34; 6) Night of the Slunk (B) 5:43; 7) Who Me? (B) 2:08; 8) Jowls (B,PS,Mantia) 4:25; 9) The Shape vs. Buckethead (B,Freeman,BC) 5:40; 10) Stun Operator (B,LC,Mantia) 4:15; 11) Scapula (B,PS,Mantia) 4:04; 12) Nun Chuka Kata (B,Disk,LC,Mantia) 4:28; 13) Remote Viewer #13 (B,Disk,LC,Mantia) 4:18*. *Note: Track 13 is only on the Japanese Release.
Buckethead: guitar, carpel tunnel, bass (1,8,11); Les Claypool: bass (2,3,5,10,12,13), vocal (3); Brain: drums (2,3,5,8,10,11,12,13); Phonosycographdisk: turntable scrapes, skratches and sounds (3,5,8,10,12,13); Bill Laswell: production (6); Bootsy Collins: vocal (1,4,9); Oui-wey: rap (9); Extrakd: production (4,9); DJ Eddie Def: turntable (4,9); Max Robertson: vocal (11); The Chicken Scratch Choir (Bob Cock, Les, Elee & Herbie): background vocals (3).
Tracks 1,8 and 11 recorded at Horn of Zeus. Tracks 2,3,5,7,10,12 and 13 recorded at Rancho Relaxo Studios. Tracks 4 and 9 recorded at the Embalming Plant. Track 6 recorded at Orange Music, Orange, New Jersey. Additional recording on tracks 1,4 and 9 done at Bootzilla Re-hab P-form School.
Tracks 2,3,5,7,10,12 and 13 engineered by Oz Fritz. Track 6 engineered by Robert Musso.
Tracks 1,8 and 11 produced and mixed by Pete Scaturro and Rob Beaton.
Tracks 2,3,5,7,10,12 and 13 produced by Les Claypool.
Tracks 4 and 9 produced by Extrakd.
Additional production on tracks 1,4 and 9 by Bootsy Collins.
Track 6 produced by Bill Laswell.
1999 - CyberOctave, Jp., TOCP - 65194 (CD)
1999 (Sept. 21) - CyberOctave, USA, COCD 47499 (CD) *****
2000 (Jan.) - CyberOctave / Virgin, EU, 8-47499-2 (CD)
RUSSELL MILLS / UNDARK - Pearl + Umbra
1) canyon: split asunder (RM) 6:06; 2) swallow crystals (RM) 5:07; 3) rooms of the sixteen shimmers (RM,Smyth,Sylvian) 4:29; 4) all wise fly (pneuma) (RM) 3:49; 5) shed lustre (RM,Smyth,Guthrie) 6:28; 6) a swoon in amber (RM) 5:48; 7) causes cause causes (RM) 5:53; 8) heaven dips (RM) 5:24; 9) cage of air (RM) 3:36; 10) golden hair (RM) 5:44; 11) all wise fly (grapes and bones) (RM) 4:11; 12) gleam and drag (RM) 4:44.
Russell Mills: catalytic conversions, uncertain wires, temple bells, knife guitar, blood, cloud bowles, steel and skin beats, music boxes, slate blasting, organic flotsam, industrial jetsam, nervous words, samples, the 'shed' method; Eraldo Bernocchi: mirage guitars, fulcrum beats; Michael Brook: infinate guitar; Mark Clifford: splinters; Brian Eno: touchstone sonics; Roger Eno: chameleon drifts; Mike Fearon: stealth guitars; Robin Guthrie: honey guitars; Bill Laswell: bear basses; Graham Lewis: bunker emissions; Paul Schutze: vibrating ether; Tom Smyth: nifty digits, reliable surprise; Ian McCullough: liquid acoustic guitar; Tony McSweeney: canine breaths; Hector Zazou: radium samples; Ildefonso Aguilar: lava guitar (8); Samuel Aguilar: murmer moog (8); John Aitkin: cruising drums (2); Harold Budd: desert keyboards (3); Declan Colgan: synthesizer (8); Huw Costin: curve bass (7); Sussan Deyhim: wind vocals (8); Ali Foster: lucent vocals (5); Peter Gabriel: muted howls (7); Graham Haynes: ribbon cornet (4,11); Derek Hook: tonge drums (4,11); Hamish Mackintosh: mirror vocals (3); Ann Mills: cloud bowls (3,6), music boxes (3,6); Sam Mills: pearl river harmonium (3,6), music boxes (3,6); Thurston Moore: root guitar (7); David Sylvian: shimmer vocals (3); Clodagh Simonds: golden vocals (10), pearl river harmonium (10); Mitsuo Tate: exocet guitar (9); Jonny Tomlinson: shining keyboards (12); Ian Walton: thomas californian (plank) organ (9); Emma Townshend: quicksilver vocals (1).
Recorded at September Sound Studios, London and the Shed Studio, Ambleside. David Sylvan's vocals recorded at Prarie Sun Studios, California; engineered by David Kent. Engineered by Tom Smyth. Additional engineering by Mitsuo Tate, Mike Fearon and Michael Webster.
Mixed by Tom Smyth, Russell Mills, Robin Guthrie and Mike Fearon.
Sculpted and produced by Russell Mills with Tom Smyth.
1999 (Sept.) - Bella Union Ltd., BELLACD13 (CD) *****
1999 - Instinct Records, INS 501-2 (CD)
MATERIAL - Intonarumori
1) Rammellzee - Intime (R,BL) 1:11; 2) Kool Keith and Kut Masta Kurt - Conspiracies (Thornton,Matlin,BL) 4:22; 3) Extrakd and Eddie Def - Rodent Robots (Freeman,Garcia) 1:32; 4) Flavor Flav, phonosycographDISK and DXT - Burnin' (Drayton,BL,Showard) 4:36; 5) Extrakd and Eddie Def - Who Wakes the Rooster? (Freeman,Garcia) 1:19; 6) Juggaknots feat. Breeze & Queen Heroine - This Morning (Smythe,Smith,Smith) 3:57; 7) Rammellzee and phonosycographDISK - No Guts No Galaxy (R,BL) 4:47; 8) Killah Priest - Temple of the Mental (Reed,BL) 6:09; 9) Lori Carson and Bernie Worrell - All That Future (LC,BL) 5:38; 10) Nature Boy Jim Kelly - My Style Is I Ain't Got No Style (Furlow,BL) 4.54; 11) Extrakd and Eddie Def - Snipers for Biters (Freeman,Garcia) 1:46; 12) Scotty Hard, Elwood and Ted Parsons - Checkpoint 0.1 (Harding) 3:54; 13) Ahlill the Transcending Soldier and Alicia Blue - Mind Drift (Taylor,BL) 6:06; 14) The Ghetto Prophets and DXT - Life Itself (Hassan,BL) 3:26; 15) Alicia Blue - Flow (Smith,BL) 3:53; 16) Ahlill the Transcending Soldier, phonosycographDISK and Jerome "Bigfoot" Brailey - Freestyle Journal (Taylor,BL) 4:54; 17) Rammellzee - Hisstory (R,BL) 3:52.
Recorded and mixed at Orange Music Sound Studios, West Orange, NJ and at Greenpoint Studios, Brooklyn, NY. Additional recording at Greene Street Recording, NYC, Ozone Studios, NYC and Gonervill Studios, Oakland, CA.
Engineering: Robert Musso, Scott Harding, Vassos & Paul.
Production: Bill Laswell, Scotty Hard, Eddie Def, DXT, Hideo Tanaka, Mr. Len (Company Flow), Extrakd, Dark Matter, Abu El Mustafa.
1999 (Sept. 28) - Axiom / Palm Pictures, PALMCD 2019-2 (CD) ****
O RAPPA - LadoB LadoA
7) LadoB LadoA (O Rappa,Yuka,Falcao) 5:05; 12) Na Palma Da Mao (O Rappa,Yuka) 7:02.
On Track 7: Falcao: voice; Lauro Farias: bass, vocal; Xandao: guitar; Marcelo Lobato: keyboards, programming, vocal; Marcelo Yuka: drums, vocal; DJ Negralha: scratch;
On Track 12: Falcao: voice; Lauro Farias: bass, vocal; Xandao: guitar; Marcelo Yuka: keyboards; Marcelo Lobato: programming, vocal; DJ Negralha: scratch; Eduardo Hack: violin; Bill Laswell: bass (final part); Carlinhos Vaca Prenha, Eduardo Fifi, Rodrigo Molusco, Carlos Henrique Groid, O Rappa: out of synchandclaps.
Tracks 7 and 12 recorded at Impressao Digital by Oswald Fritz.
Tracks 7 and 12 produced by Bill Laswell.
1999 (Oct.) - Warner Bros. (Brazil), wea 398422763-2 (CD) *****
JOHN ZORN - Music Romance Volume Two: Taboo and Exile
1) In The Temple Of Hadajarim (JZ) 5:12; 2) Sacrifist (JZ) 4:50; 3) Mayim (JZ) 3:27; 4) Koryojang (JZ) 6:21; 5) Bulls-Eye (JZ) 1:08; 6) Leraim (JZ) 6:19; 7) Thaalapalassi (JZ) 24:00; 8) Makkot (JZ) 2:59; 9) A Tiki For Blue (JZ) 6:59; 10) The Possessed (JZ) 6:17; 11) Oracle (JZ) 4:24; 12) Koryojang (End Credits) (JZ) 2:25.
Jamie Soft: piano (1,6), organ (1,11); Cyro Baptista (1,4,6,11,12): percussion; Mark Feldman (1,3,6,8): violin; Erik Friedlander (1,3,6,8,11): cello; Greg Cohen (1,3,6,8,9): bass; Fred Frith (2,7,10): guitar; Marc Ribot: guitar (2,7,9), rhythm guitar (5); Bill Laswell (2,7,10): bass; Dave Lombardo (2,7,10): drums; Joey Baron (4,12): percussion; Mike Patton (5): voice; Robert Quine (5): lead guitar; Chris Wood (5): bass; Sim Cain (5): drums; Roberto Rodriguez (9): percussion; Miho Hatori (9): voice; John Zorn: sax (10).
Recorded at Avatar, February to June 1999. Engineers: Jim Anderson, Dan Gellert, Robert Musso and Jason Baker.
Produced and arranged by John Zorn.
1999 (Nov. 16) - Tzadik, TZ 7325 (CD) ****
SHIN TERAI - Unison
1) Clue (ST) 1:59; 2) Dinner of Heaven (ST,BL,NS) 7:46; 3) Emotional Intelligence (ST,BL,NS) 7:25; 4) Dusk (ST,BL,B) 7:18; 5) Tug of War (ST,BL,B) 8:15; 6) Dream Catcher (ST,BL,BW,RM) 7:52; 7) From Texas (ST,BL,BW,RM) 8:10.
Shin Terai: voice, synthesizer, beats, loops, effects; Bill Laswell: basses, synthesizer, effects; Buckethead: guitars; Bernie Worrell: hammond B-3 organ, synthesizer, clavinet; Nicky Skopelitis: 6- and 12-string guitars, coral electric sitar; Robert Musso: programming, processing, loops.
Recorded and mixed at Greenpoint Studio Brooklyn, NY. Engineerring by Robert Musso and Ozz Fritz.
Mix Translation by Bill Laswell.
Produced by Bill Laswell and Shin Terai.
1999 (Nov.) - AMJ, Absord Music Japan, ABCJ - 60 (CD) ******
1999 - New Technology (RUS), ZZ 04 GP 0001048 (CD) 2001 (Febr.) - ION, 820152 (CD)
PERCY HOWARD - Incidental Seduction
1) Filligree (PH,EB) 6:25; 2) Trastevere (PH) 5:28; 3) Aperture (PH) 6:10; 4) Thirst (PH,EB,KLV) 5:03; 5) Succubus (PH,BL) 4:50; 6) Lapis (PH) 6:18; 7) Under the wonderment (PH) 4:57; 8) Seraph's song (PH,SS,JE) 3:58; 9) Infelice E Tu Credevi... (Verdi) 3:18; 10) Everywhere (SS,KLV) 5:34; 11) Float (PH) 5:45.
Percy Howard: vocals; Eraldo Bernocchi (1): synths, beats; Keeno Burns (4,10): drums, percussion; John Ettinger (1,2,3,7,8,9,11): violin; Trey Gunn (2,3,6,7,9,11): war guitar; Kali LaVey (4): spoken words; Charles Hayward (2,3,6,7,9,11): drums; Leonard La Rue (4,10): keyboards; Bill Laswell (5): bass, synths; Victoria Lloyd (6,10): backing vocals; Vernon Reid (2,3,6,7,9,11): guitar; Steve Sullivan (1,3,4,7,8,9,10): guitar.
Tracks 1 and 4 recorded and mixed at Verba Corrige Studios, Italy and Chris Ross Studios, Sacramento, CA. Basic tracks for 2,3,6,7,8,9 and 11 recorded at Enharmonik Studios, Sacramento, California. Track 10 recorded and mixed at Chris Ross Studios, Sacramento, California. Tracks 2,6,7 and 8 mixed at PC North Studios, North Highlands, California. Engineered by Eric Stenmen. Track 5 recorded and mixed at Chris Ross Studios, Sacramento, CA and Orange Music Sound, West Orange, New Jersey, engineered by Chris Ross and Bob Musso. Tracks 3 and 9 mixed by Oz Fritz. Track 9 arranged by Percy Howard.
Produced and arranged by Percy Howard.
1999 (Nov.) - Materiali Sonori, MASO CD 90109 (CD) ***
BILL LASWELL - Permutation
1) Encoded (BL) 4:57; 2) Acid Test (BL) 4:26; 3) Coma (BL) 4:39; 4) Perimeter (BL) 6:37; 5) Escape Clause (BL) 3:48; 6) Iron Black (BL) 3:33; 7) Scatter (BL) 4:49; 8) Enhanced (BL) 6:34.
Bill Laswell: bass, guitar, keyboards, sounds; Nicky Skopelitis: guitar; Lance Carter: drums; Hassan Ibn Ali: samples; Dark Matter: samples.
Recorded and mixed at Orange Music, West Orange, N.J. Engineering and programming: Robert Musso.
Produced and arranged by Bill Laswell.
1999 (Dec. / p 1998) - ION, IN 2010-2 (CD) *****
VARIOUS ARTISTS - Drop 5.1 / Newest travel into liquid dance
?) Bill Laswell & Eraldo Bernocchi - Last Dance (Loa Mix).
1999 - Materiali Sonori, MASO 90119 (CD)
BILL LASWELL - Hear No Evil
Disc 1: 1) Lost Roads (BL) 7:26; 2) Bullet Hole Memory (BL) 7:13; 3) Illinois Central (BL) 6:59; 4) Assassin (BL) 6:24; 5) Stations of the Cross (BL) 7:32; 6) Kingdom Come (BL) 7:36. (see 1988, Hear No Evil)
Bill Laswell: bass; Shankar: violin; Nicky Skopelitis: guitars; Zakir Hussain: tabla; Aiyb Dieng: percussion; Daniel Ponce: percussion.
Disc 2: 1) Lost Roads Orchestral Site (BL) 18:07; 2) Kingdom Come Ambient Site (BL) 26:27.
Bill Laswell: bass; Shankar: violin; Nicky Skopelitis: guitars; Aiyb Dieng: percussion; Jeff Bova: syntheziser; Material Strings.
Recorded and mixed at BC Studio, Brooklyn, NY, engineering Martin Bisi and at Orange Sound Studio, Orange, N.J. Engineering by Robert Musso.
Written and produced by Bill Laswell.
1999 (Dec.) - Meta, MT 005 (2CD) *****
JAH WOBBLE - The 30 Hertz Collection
1) Waxing Moon; 2) Just A Prayer; 3) Disks Winds and Veiling Curtains; 4) Requiem III; 5) One In 7; 6) The Five Tone Dragon; 7) Third Heaven.
Recorded and mixed at 30 Hertz Studios, London.
Track 3 recorded and mixed at Orange Studios, West Orange, New Jersey, engineered by Robert Musso.
Track 3 produced by Bill Laswell (see 1999, Jah Wobble - Deep Space).
Produced by Jah Wobble.
1999 (Dec.) - Meta Records, MT 006 (CD)
ROBERT MUSSO - Innermedium
1) Unknown Passage (RM) 6:51; 2) Luminous (RM) 5:20; 3) Stream of Stars (RM) 6:08; 4) Realm of Spells (RM) 6:15; 5) Drifting Shades (RM) 5:25; 6) One Mind (RM) 5:44; 7) Dark Halo (RM) 7:10; 8) From Shadows (RM) 5:50; 9) Silent Code (RM) 6:10.
Karl Berger: vibes, Rhodes electric piano; Charlie Burnham: violin, harp; Lance Carter: drums; Aiyb Dieng: percussion; Byard Lancaster (3,5): soprano sax, flutes, bass clarinet; Bill Laswell: bass; David Liebman (2,4): soprano and tenor sax; Robert Musso: guitar, 6 string bass, ebows, synth; Bernie Worrell (2,4): Hammond organ, Wurlitzer electric piano.
Main themes on 3, 4 and 5 written by Robert Musso and Karl Berger.
Recorded and mixed at Orange Music Sound Studios, Orange, New Jersey.
Produced and engineered by Robert Musso.
1999 (Dec.) - DIW, DIW 416 (CD) *****
CRAZY WISDOM MASTERS - The Payback EP
1) Battle Show (CWM) 3:55; 2) Ra Ra Kid (CWM) 3:19; 3) Spittin' Wicked Randomness (CWM) 4:45; 4) Hedz At Kompany Z (CWM) 3:12.
Mike G, Baby Bam and Torture: vocals, beats, sounds; Bill Laswell: bass, sounds, processing, treatments.
Recorded and mixed at Greenpoint Studio, Brooklyn, NY. Engineering by Robert Musso.
Produced by Bill Laswell.
1999 - Black Hoodz (USA), BH006 (10")
MATERIAL - Rap is still an Art (Dj Promo)
1) Kool Keith and Kut Masta Kurt - Conspiracies (Thornton,Matlin,BL) 4:22; 2) Flavor Flav, phonosycographDISK and DXT - Burnin' (Drayton,BL,Showard) 4:36; 3) Juggaknots feat. Breeze & Queen Heroine - This Morning (Smythe,Smith,Smith) 3:57; 4) The Ghetto Prophets and DXT - Life Itself (Hassan,BL) 3:26; 15) Alicia Blue - Flow (Smith,BL) 3:53. (see 1999, Material - Intonarumori)
1999 - Axiom / Palm Pictures (USA), 12 DJI (Promo 12")
1999 - Axiom / Palm Pictures, 109262 (12")
VARIOUS ARTISTS - Chillout Basscapes
Disc Two: 1) Helping For Dub - (BL,SS) 8:11 (see 1997, Bill Laswell meets Style Scott inna Dub Meltdown).
1999 - Area Code 221 / Zoomshot, EFA 61049-2 (2CD)
RONALD SHANNON JACKSON & THE DECODING SOCIETY - Talkeye
1) Charming the Beast (RSJ) 3:18; 2) Starhawk (RSJ) 6:00; 3) Holyman (RSJ) 5:26; 4) Talkeye (RSJ) 5:40; 5) Gandhi (RSJ) 8:09; 6) Jax's Dance (RSJ) 5:45; 7) Psychic Greeting (RSJ) 5:53; 8) Sheep In Wolf's Clothing (RSJ) 3:26.
Ronald Shannon Jackson: drums, flute (5); Masujaa (Hugh Riley): guitar; Cary DeNigris: guitar; John Moody: bass; Zane Massey: soprano and tenor saxophones; Eric Person: soprano and alto saxophones, flute.
Recorded by Robert Wechsler at January Sound, Dallas, Texas, April 9 - 11, 1987. Mixed by Bill Laswell and Robert Musso at Quad Studio, NYC.
Reissue engineered by Rob McCabe, produced by Jim Eigo.
1999 - Knitting Factory Rec., KCR-3028 (CD) ****
Note: "Talkeye" is a rerelease of "Texas" (1988) with new cover and different tracktitles.
VARIOUS ARTISTS - Music For The New Millennium (A Taste Of Narada - Higher Octave)
3) Ekstasis - Providence (see 1998, Ekstasis - Wake up and Dream).
1999 - Narada / Higher Octave (USA) (CD)
VARIOUS ARTISTS - A Wanton Bass
5) E.O.E. - Maka (Eraldo Bernocchi Remix) (> 1998, E.O.E. - Veve).
1999 - Temposhere (I), TSPH0300 (CD)
1999 - Part 1
1978/80 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994
1995 1996 1997 1998 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006