The Bill Laswell Discography
1997 - Part 1
PETE NAMLOOK & BILL LASWELL - Psychonavigation 3
1) Telepathy I (BL,PN) 15:31; 2) Trautoniolo (BL,PN) 4:02; 3) Mind Tranceference Control (BL,PN) 16:24; 4) Mind over Energy (BL,PN) 12:56; 5) Vocal PSI (BL,PN) 2:56; 6) Telepathy II (BL,PN) 4:52; 7) Lights Out (BL,PN) 4:00.
Bill Laswell: bass, sounds; Pete Namlook: Trautonium, sounds.
Recorded at Klanglabor, Frankfurt, Germany.
Produced by Peter Kuhlmann.
1997 - Fax, PW 33 (CD, Limitation: 2.000 copies) ****
2005 (Nov. 17.) - Ambient World, AW 038 (CD)
HENRY THREADGILL & MAKE A MOVE - Where's your Cup?
1) 100 Year Old Game (HT) 10:54; 2) Laughing Club (HT) 5:00; 3) Where's your Cup? (HT) 11:14; 4) And this (HT) 13:40; 5) Feels like it (HT) 6:39; 6) The Flew (HT) 9:50; 7) Go to far (HT) 8:56.
Henry Threadgill: alto sax, flute; Brandon Ross: electric and classical guitar; Tony Cedras: accordion, harmonium; Stomu Takeishi: 5 - string fretless bass; J.T.Lewis: drums.
Recorded and mixed at East Side Sound, New York. Engineered by Bob Musso.
Produced by Bill Laswell & Henry Threadgill.
1997 - Columbia / Sony, 485 139 (CD)
1997 - Columbia / Sony (USA), CK 67617 (CD) ****
BILL LASWELL - City of Lights
1) Nothing (BL,LC) 13:03; 2) Kála (C,LC) 13:06; 3) Káshí (TI,LC) 7:19; 4) Above the Earth (BL,LC) 11:19.
Lori Carson: vocals; John Brown: computer treatments; Bill Laswell (1,4): sound collages; Trilok Gurtu (1): tablas; Coil (2): sound collages; Tetsu Inoue (3): sound collages; Hakim Bey: readings.
Recorded in Banares, India and Greenpoint Studio, Brooklyn, New York.
Concept by Janet Rienstra.
Produced by Bill Laswell. 1997 - Sub Rosa, SR 114 (CD) ****
2003 - Sub Rosa (Belgium), SR 114 / 154 (2CD)
VARIOUS ARTISTS - Spaces / A Journey into Ambient Worlds
4) Blind Light - Our Completion. (see 1994, Blind Light - Absence of Time)
1997 - Roundtrip / EFA, 06353-2 (CD)
VARIOUS ARTISTS - Submerged Vol. 1: Blooming Breaks and Bulging Beats
7) Material with Graham Haynes - Turn the Srew. (see 1996, Tetragrammaton)
Produced and arranged by Bill Laswell.
1997 - Incoming, inc!CD 3313 (CD)
VARIOUS ARTISTS - Brainstorm
?) Possession - Rainfall. (see 1996, Possession + African Dub - Off World One)
Produced by Bill Laswell.
1997 - ? (U.S.A.) (CD)
SOUNDTRACK - Nirvana
The soundtrack to the film by Gabriele Salvatores.
8) Eraldo Bernocchi and Bill Laswell - Last Dance (EB,BL) 3:41. (see 1996, V.A. Verba Corridge Production)
Eraldo Bernocchi: samples, electronics; Bill Laswell: samples, bass, fx; the monks of the Monastery of Sed Gyued: voices.
Track 8 recorded at Verba Corrige Prod. Studio, October 1996.
Produced by Eraldo Bernocchi.
1997 - San Isidro / Mercury (Italy), 534 558-2 (CD)
HARUOMI HOSONO & BILL LASWELL - Interpieces Organization 12"
1) Y.S. Tangled in Tokyo (HH,BL) 7:52; 2) Interpieces (HH,BL) 6:34; 3) Jeephead Shaman (HH,BL) 5:25 (see 1996, Haruomi Hosono & Bill Laswell - Interpieces Organization, CD).
1997 - Baidis (Jp.)
LORI CARSON - Something's got me
1) Curse of the Voodoo Swamp Mix (LC) - Remix by Philip Steir (3:48); 2) Original Album Version (LC) - Remix by Anton Fier (3:48); 3) Think Slink Mix (LC)- Remix by Anton Fier (3:59). (see 1997, Everything I Touch Runs Wild)
Lori Carson: vocals, electric guitar, background vocals; Bill Laswell: bass; Brian Gocher: programming; Anton Fier: programming; Chris Cunningham: sarod; Steve Bernstein: trumpet; Lydia Kavanagh: back vocals.
Recorded at Lori's apartment on Sixth Avenue in New York City. Additional recording at Power Station, NY, Greenpoint Studio, Brooklyn, NY and the Knitting Factory, NYC.
Produced by Lori Carson, additional production by Anton Fier.
1997 - Restless, pro-096 (promo CD)
LORI CARSON - Everything I Touch Runs Wild
Disc 1: 1) Something's got me (LC) 5:30.
Disc 2 / Remixes: 1) Something's got me (curse of the voodoo swamp mix / extended version by Philip Steir) 6:15; 2) Something's got me (think slink mix by Anton Fier) 5:32; 4) Something's got me (instant drip hop mix by Philip Steir) 6:16.
Lori Carson: vocal, electric guitars, background vocals; Brian Gocher: programming; Anton Fier: programming; Chris Cunningham: sarod; Steve Bernstein: trumpet; Bill Laswell: bass; Lydia Kavanagh: background vocals.
Produced by Lori Carson. Additional production and remix by Anton Fier.
1997 - Restless, 7-72923-2 (2CD) ***
SOUNDTRACK - Gravesend
19) Bill Laswell - The Abyss (BL) 1:31; 20) Bill Laswell - Gravesend Theme (BL) 2:09; 21) Bill Laswell - Sleepless Nights (BL) 1:43; 22) Bill Laswell - El Mariachi Loco (BL) 1:53; 23) Bill Laswell - Gravesend Prelude (BL) 1:09; 24) Bill Laswell - Gravesend Symphony (BL) 0:46; 25) Bill Laswell - Arch Angels (BL) 1:53; 26) Bill Laswell - Gravesend Theme (BL) 3:26.
Bill Laswell: sounds; Fousseny Kouyate (20,26): gony.
Tracks 19-26 recorded at Greenpoint Studio, Brooklyn, New York.
Tracks 19-26 produced by Bill Laswell.
1997 - Island, 314-524 432-2 (CD)
MATERIAL - Seven Souls (Remix)
1) The Western Lands (a Dangerous Road Mix) (BL,WSB) 8:31;
Jah Wobble: bass; Bill Laswell: bass samples; Nicky Skopelitis: guitar; Tetsu Inoue: electronics; DJ Spooky: noise; Robert Musso: engineering, processing. (see 1996, V.A. - War Smash Hits, Track 2, Bill Laswell - Black Djinn Trance)
2) Seven Souls (Tim Simenon Mix) (TS,WSB) 7:06; 3) Soul Killer ( Remote Control Mix by Terre Thaemlitz) (TT,WSB) 8:15; 4) Ineffect (BL,NS,WSB,SS) 7:34; 5) Seven Souls (BL,WSB) 4:32; 6) Soul Killer (BL,WSB) 4:32; 7) The Western Lands (BL,NS,WSB) 6:54; 8) Deliver (BL,NS,Suso) 5:48; 9) Equation (BL,NS,R) 5:06; 10) The End of Words (BL,WSB) 5:06. (see 1989, Material - Seven Souls)
William S. Burroughs: voice; Rammellzee (9): voice; Foday Musa Suso (8): voice; Fahiem Dandan (4): voice; Nicky Skopelitis: 6- & 12- string guitars, baglama, electric sitar, saz, Fairlight; Simon Shaheen: violin; Shankar: violin; Jeff Bova: electronic keyboards; Aiyb Dieng: percussion; Bill Laswell: 4-, 6- & 8- string basses, acoustic guitar, tapes, percussion; Sly Dunbar: drums, Fairlight.
Remastered at Greenpoint with Robert Musso and Anton Fier.
Produced by Janet Rienstra and Bill Laswell.
1997 - Triloka Records, 314 534 905-2 (CD) *****
PETE NAMLOOK, KLAUS SCHULZE & BILL LASWELL - The Dark Side of the Moog VI
1) The Final DAT 1 - VI (PN,KS,BL) 64:16.
Pete Namlook & Klaus Schulze: sounds, treatments; Bill Laswell (4): sounds.
Recorded at Klanglabor, Traben-Trabach / Mosel and Moldau Music Studio, Germany and Greenpoint Studio, Brooklyn, New York.
Produced by Peter Kuhlmann.
1997 - Fax, PK 08/133 (CD, Limitation: 2.000 copies) ****
2003 (Oct. 13.) - Ambient World (GER), AW029 (CD)
BILL LASWELL MEETS STYLE SCOTT Inna Dub Meltdown
1) Crooklyn Dub Syndicate (BL,SS) 8:02; 2) Fourth Column (BL,SS) 8:12; 3) Aeon (BL,SS) 8:06; 4) Emergency at the Plant (BL,SS) 4:43; 5) Radioactive Dub (BL,SS) 7:33; 6) Fallout (BL,SS) 7:55; 7) A greater Source of Power (BL,SS) 7:42; 8) Melting Pot Dub (BL,SS) 7:23.
Bill Laswell: bass, loops, fx; Style Scott: drums; Capt. Kowatchi: percussion; Prof. Shehab: samples; The Eye: chronic, sounds, pressure.
Recorded at Greenpoint Studios, Brooklyn, New York. Science: Robert Musso.
Mixed at Greenpoint Studios and Orange Music, West Orange, New Jersey. Tracks 1,4,5,7 and 8 mixed by The Eye, tracks 2 and 6 mixed by Bill Laswell, track 3 mixed by Prof. Shehab.
Produced by Bill Laswell & Style Scott.
1997 - WordSound, WSCD 021 (CD) ******
VARIOUS ARTISTS - Shake the Nations
This is a collection WordSound releases featuring new remixes, unreleased and some album versions from each of their releases up to the release of this album.
Disc 2, Track 4) EOE (Bill Laswell, Eraldo Bernocchi, Mick Harris) - Lower (Remixed by Slotek) 6:12;
Disc 2, Track 8) Scarab - Towers open Fire (Remixed by Bill Laswell) 7:46;
Disc 2, Track 10) Bill Laswell & Style Scott - Fallout (LP-Version) 4:23 (see 1997, Dub Meltdown)
1997 - WordSound, WSCD 023 (2CD) ****
JAI UTTAL AND THE PAGAN LOVE ORCHESTRA - Shiva Station
1) Guru Bramha (JU) 4:25; 2) Shiva Station (Nanah Shivaya) (JU) 7:12; 3) Hari Guna Gao (JU) 7:01; 4) Calling You (Telson) 3:25; 5) Malkouns (Night on the Ganges) (JU) 5:10; 6) Rama Raghava (JU) 7:20; 7) Bhajore (JU) 7:28; 8) Corner (Public Domain) 4:41; 9) Sita Ram (JU,PA) 6:40; 10) Jaya Jagadambe (She Who Tears Apart Thought) (JU,PA) 8:40; 11) Never Turn Away (JU,Kagel) 5:14.
Jai Uttal: vocals, dotar, harmonium, gub gubbi, kartals, ektar, swaramandala, banjo, sampling, sequencing and little guitar; Peter Apfelbaum: drums (except 4), tenor and soprano saxophones, melodica, African bells, vocals and mixing consultant; Will Bernard: electric and acoustic guitars and guitar solos; Jeff Cressman: trombones, cornet and band copyist; Geoffrey Gordon: tabla (1), dholak (5,6,9), hand drums, timbales and miscellaneous percussion; Keith McArthur: bass; Irene Sazer: violin and viola; Kit Walker: keyboards and Hammond B-3 organ.
Guest Artists: Maestro Swapan Chaudhuri: tabla (10), dholak and baya (5,6); Moinuddhin Khan: sarangi; Peck Allmond (6): trumpet; Steve Gorr: bansuri; Jan Jackson (4): drums; Rob Vlack (4): acoustic guitar, keyboards, sampling and sequencing; Kitty Beethoven: back up vocals; Ledici Young: back up vocals; Riffat Salamat Ali Khan: back up vocals.
Recorded at Spark Studios, Emeryville, California.
Produced by Jai Uttal. Track 4 produced by Jai Uttal and Rob Vlack.
Mix translation by Bill Laswell.
Resolved at Greenpoint Studio, Brooklyn, New York.
1997 - Triloka Records, 314 534 911-2 (CD) ****
BOB MARLEY - Dreams of Freedom 12"
1) Midnight Ravers (BM) 6:10; 2) No Woman No Cry (Ford) 4:09; 3) The Heathen (BM) 7:35; 4) Exodus (BM) 8:50. (see 1997 Dreams of Freedom)
Created at Greenpoint Studio, Brooklyn, New York.
Creative direction and concept: Chris Blackwell.
Remix production by Bill Laswell.
1997 - Axiom / Island, PR12 7621-1 (12")
BOB MARLEY - Dreams of Freedom (Ambient Translations of Bob Marley in Dub)
1) Rebel Music (3 o'clock Roadblock) (AB,Peart) 10:20; 2) No Woman no Cry (Ford) 4:11; 3) The Heathen (BM) 8:37; 4) Them Belly Full (But we Hungry) (Cogil,CB) 5:57; 5) Waiting in Vain (BM) 4:42; 6) So much Trouble in the World (BM) 4:47; 7) Exodus (BM) 8:57; 8) Burnin' and Lootin' (BM) 4:10; 9) Is this Love (BM) 4:31; 10) One Love (People get ready) (BM) 4:14; 11) Midnight Ravers (BM) 6:24.
Bob Marley: guitar, vocals; Joe Higgs: percussion; Aston "Family Man" Barrett: bass, percussion; Carlton (Carly) Barrett: drums, percussion; Al Anderson: lead guitar; Julian (Junior) Marvin: lead guitar, backing vocal; Tyrone Downie: keyboards, percussion, backing vocal; Alvin "Seeco" Patterson: percussion; Earl "Wya" Lindo: keyboards, percussion, backing vocal; Earl "Chinna" Smith: lead and rhythm guitar, percussion; Donald Kinsey: lead guitar; Touter: piano, organ; Bunny Livingston (8,11): congas, bongos, vocals; Peter Mackintosh: piano, organ, guitar, vocals; I Threes - Rita Marley, Marcia Griffiths and Judy Mowatt: backing vocals; Aiyb Dieng (6): percussion; Tetsu Inoue (3,4,5): electronic sounds. Material strings on track 4 arranged and conducted by Karl Berger.
Created at Greenpoint Studio, Brooklyn, New York. Creative Direction and Concept: Chris Blackwell.
Remix Production by Bill Laswell.
1997 - Axiom / Island, 314-524 419-1 (2LP)
1997 - Axiom / Island, 524 419-2 (CD) ****
THE GOLDEN PALOMINOS - Dead Outside
This Remix EP is released exclusively on Internet. It was only available as an download for one month.
1) Belfast: Empty as Wire (mix by Scanner) (NB,AF) 5:56; 2) Ride (mix by Mark Walk) (NB,AF) 3:07; 3) Ride: Pragmatic Spasmatic (mix by Raymond Watts) (NB,AF) 8:11; 4) Victim: Interference (mix by John Van Eaton) (NB,AF) 4:39; 5) Victim: The Last Thing (mix by Sean Beavan and John Van Eaton) (NB,AF) 4:39. (see 1996, The Dead Inside)
Original versions produced by Anton Fier.
1997 - Restless (Oct. 15 - Nov. 15) ****
VARIOUS ARTISTS - Underwood Two
4) Bill Laswell featuring Ninj - Digitaria (see 1996, Oscillations); 11) Nus - Everything (see 1996, All the Vertical Angels).
1997 - Sub Rosa, SR 125 (CD)
PRAXIS - Transmutation Live
1) Movement 1 (15:25); 2) Movement 2 (14:05); 3) Movement 3 (15:30); 4) Movement 4 (15:05).
Buckethead: guitar; Brain: drums; Bill Laswell: bass; DXT: turntables, keyboards; Invisible Scratch Pickles - DJs Q-Bert, Mixmaster Mike, Shortkut, Disk: turntables.
Recorded Live in Zurich (CH), JazzNoJazz Festival, June 21, '96.
Engeneering by Oz Fritz and Robert Musso.
1997 (p1996) - Douglas Music, ADC5 (CD) ******
PRAXIS - Live in Poland
1) Metatron; 2) Sacrifist; 3) Tarab; 4) Crash Victim; 5) The Hook / Giant Robot (total: 70:37).
Buckethead: guitar, piano; Brain: drums; Bill Laswell: bass; DXT: turntables, keyboards; Invisible Scratch Pickles - DJs Q-Bert, Mixmaster Mike, Short Cut, Disk: turntables, scratching.
Recorded live at Sala Kongresowa, Warsaw, Summer Jazz Days, Poland, June 29, 1996.
Remixed and mastered at Jazz Club Akwarium Studio, Warzaw, Poland by Mariusz Adamiak.
Produced by Mariusz Adamiak.
1997 - Jazz a go-go (Pl.), A-015 (CD, Limited Edition) ******
ELIXIR - Hegalien Zone
1) Automation Required (Elixir) 5:38; 2) Voyage Orientis (E) 4:25; 3) Humans being Human (E) 5:51; 4) Etherus Athirst C2 H50 CD H5 (E) 9:38; 5) Biochip Implant (E) 5:07; 6) Dance of the Sufis (E) 10:49.
DXT: drums, electronic keyboards, percussion, turntable, voice; Sassan: samples, flutes, mystery; Jean-Pierre Sluys: samples; Bill Laswell: bass; Umar Bin Hassan: voice.
Recorded at Greenpoint Studio, Brooklyn, New York.
Produced and mixed by DXT, Sassan &. Jean-Pierre Sluys. Additional mix translation by Bill Laswell.
1997 - Ion, 2003 (CD) *****
DEATH CUBE K - Disembodied
1) Disembodied (B,BL) 9:14; 2) Embalmed (B,BL) 4:58; 3) Terror Tram (B,BL) 9:35; 4) Hanging Gallows (B,BL) 5:32; 5) Pre Hack (B,BL) 15:29.
Death Cube K (aka Buckethead): guitar, Dr. Phibes organ, stretching rake; Xtrakd: ambient nightmare machete; Bill Laswell: bass.
Recorded at The Embalming Plant, Oakland, California. Additional recording and mixing at Greenpoint Studio, Brooklyn, New York.
Produced by Buckethead and Bill Laswell.
1997 - Ion, 2004 (CD) **
BILL LASWELL - Sacred System: Chapter Two
1) Thunupa (BL) 13:32; 2) Anubis (BL) 12:34; 3) Purana (BL) 13:16; 4) Akapana (BL) 11:35.
Graham Haynes: flugelhorn, cornet, EFX; Nicky Skopelitis: coral sitar, 6- & 12- string guitars; Bill Laswell: Fender bass, EFX; Bill Buchen: tablas, log drum, parabolic gamelan, water drums; additional beats: Style Scott.
Recorded and mixed at Orange Music, West Orange, New Jersey.
Produced by Bill Laswell.
1997 - Roir, RUSCD 8233 (CD/LP) *****
VARIOUS ARTISTS - Electro Beats
Compilation from Celluloid recordings, produced by Bill Laswell.
1997 - Charly, CDNEW 103 (CD)
VARIOUS ARTISTS - Direction Africa
Compilation from Celluloid recordings, produced by Bill Laswell.
1997 - Charly, CDNEW 106 (CD)
ARCANA - Arc of the Testimony
1) Gone Tomorrow (TW,BL) 9:39; 2) Illuminator (TW,BL) 6:07; 3) Into the Circle (TW,BL) 9:25; 4) Returning (TW,BL) 4:29; 5) Calling out the Blue Light (TW,BL) 6:37; 6) Circles of Hell (TW,BL) 7:15; 7) Wheelness on a dark River (TW,BL) 4:27; 8) The Earth below (TW,BL) 5:28.
Tony Williams: drums; Bill Laswell: 4- & 6-string basses, fretless bass, ebo, sfx; Pharoah Sanders (1,6): tenor sax; Byard Lancaster: alto sax (3,5), bass clarinet (1,3,5); Graham Haynes (1,3): cornet; Nicky Skopelitis (1-7): 6- & 12-string guitars; Buckethead (2,4,6): guitar.
Recorded and mixed at Greenpoint Studio, Brooklyn, New York, engineering Robert Musso.
Created by Bill Laswell.
1997 - Axiom / Island, 314-524 431-2 (CD) *****
SAPHO - Digital Sheikha
1) Sois plus radical (S) 5:31; 2) Je t'avoue (S) 4:33; 3) Laouah (Trad.) 3:02; 4) Sahia 1+2 (S,PJ) 5:05; 5) Petit Démon (S) 5:01; 6) Ya Habib (Trad.,S,PJ) 3:21; 7) Ce Spectacle (S,PJ) 4:46; 8) Dabayji (Trad.) 5:34; 9) Endi ou Hida (Trad.,S,PJ) 5:01; 10) Shalini (Trad.,S,PJ) 3:59; 11) Titiha (Trad.) 4:07; 12) Amuenty (Trad.) 4:23; 13) Radio Bébé (S) 2:27.
Sapho: vocals, keyboards; Bill Laswell (1,3,5,8): bass, loops, effects; Cheb Qchatar: guitar, bouzouki; Zahera and Hallilifa: vocals, bendir, tarija; Jalal Hamdaoui: keyboards, darbukka; Nouffel H.: oud; Aziz Heditan: violin; Fido K.: programming; Bombax: (2,5) programming; Pat Jabbar: programming, keyboards.
Tracks 1,3,5,8 produced and mixed by Bill Laswell;
Track 2 produced and mixed by Bombax and Pat Jabbar;
Rest produced and mixed by Fido K. and Pat Jabbar.
1997 - Barraka, Barbarity 008 (CD) ****
1997 - Part 2
1978/80 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994
1995 1996 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006